Thursday, May 7, 2009

Sophie is 4 weeks old today!

Yes indeed, our little Sophie is 4 weeks old today! Here are some things that we have learned about her so far:



1. Sophie likes to be held at all times. She does not like her crib or bassinet and will protest within minutes of being placed inside. This makes it extremely difficult to get sleep, so Carl and I have taken to sleeping with Sophie on our chests. I'm quite sure that all the baby books would say to Never do this, however I am willing to bet that they've never had a sleep nazi as a baby.


2. Sophie has a favorite position-on your chest with her head tucked under your chin. Even if your prop her up onto your shoulder, she will wiggle and squirm around until her head is firmly under your chin. Now-I've done some thinking as to why she might like this position, and the only thing I can think of is that she spent the last 5 months in my tummy with her head under my ribs, and this position is comforting to her.






3. Sophie likes her baths! Although you can not tell in this picture, she has closed her eyes and stretched out her little legs, as if to say," All right folks, hit the jets. Let's get this hot tub rolling!"Carl used to tease me, but I swore that before she was born if she was particularly active or had the hiccups for a long period of time, if I took a hot shower she would relax. Hmm, it appears that I was right...



4. Eating is a very serious activity. Here Carl is trying to convince Sophie that even though she is awake, she does not need to be eating. This only worked for a few minutes, before she remembered that she had not eaten for 90 whole minutes.


We have greatly enjoyed getting to know our little Sophie and can not wait to see what the next 4 weeks bring. Hopefully more sleep.
















5 comments:

  1. Those are great photos! I can't believe she relaxes in the bath like that - Claire used to stare at us like, "what in the world are you doing to me?" Now I just get splashed as I say, "please don't stand in the bathtub" 40 times. We have that same playmat! It's awesome! It looks like she has fantastic neck strength - already lifting it off the floor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ashley! Congratulations! I didn't know you had her yet! :) YEAH! She is beautiful! I know just how you feel about the sleep thing...Caleb was the SAME way! Even the position thing...I say throw all books out and go with whatever gets you sleep! :) She is beautiful and I can't wait to see more!
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ash, Carl, Sophie--hello from Tucson! We love your blog. Tried to send it to Geoffie who just told me today he for sure is coming to see Sophie (and you guys too) on his way North. Happy Mothers' Day

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi ashely...been so many years. your baby girl is precious. thanks for sharing about her on your blog. it's fun to read. i remember those sleep nazi days! :-) who would have ever thought a few pounds of cuteness could completely destroy your sleep? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ashie, Carl and Sophie,
    This is cuz Geoffie again, I just realized that the 20th is fathers day weekend, I might come a few days before the 20th then, we will be in touch and figure out a good time to visit.
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete